Wednesday, September 08, 2010

I'M A BRUIN!!


The past 2 falls I've spend most days working on my MBA applications. They're not the simple applications like when applying to college, they're a fucking full time job. You would not believe the intracacies of these things. Like NYU Stern makes you create some matrix where you have to put every job you've had since HIGH SCHOOL!! which is great in theory, but i'm in the entertainment biz and have had like 30 jobs that I had to fill out names, addresses, phone numbers (that don't exist anymore since production offices closed in the late 90s) and the amount of essays you have to write is retarded. 4-5 for EVERY school. And there is no cut and paste happening...

so i'm glad now that I'm a UCLA bruin at the Anderson School of Management, ranked around #11 in the country. The caliber of my classmates is really inspiring. Smart doesn't even begin to do them justice, they're insanely isightful. Last week was my first week starting with the Leadership foundations class. I met my classmates, worked in teams on projects, did a ropes course which made me climb up a 40 ft ladder, then stand on a rope above the ground and walk across the rope while leaning agasint my partner on a rope across from me. I made it half way before I started screaming for God, but that was a major accomplishment considering I wanted to quit while on the ladder. BTW, no nets below in case you fall, we had 2 harnesses on, with the bilays held by classmates who i had met a few hours prior...

we had 15 hour days 730am - after 9 pm, lectures, key note speakers, exercises, case studies, etc. REally invigorating, i can't believe how much I love getting my MBA. Because it's a part time program, I now only go on saturdays all day, but will get invovled in a lot of clubs etc to round out my classroom experience. MBA programs aren't only about the classroom, also about networking. Funnily enough, I didn't attend any of the happy hours after classes last week, i attended a happy hour in my freakin bed, i dont know how the young-ins did it. I'm still recovering from last week!

No comments: